State of Nebraska Logo

National Flood Insurance Program

Since most homeowners insurance does not cover flooding, homes need protection from floods associated with heavy rains, hurricanes, tropical storms, and other weather conditions. Whether or not you live near a stream or ocean, flood insurance is an important tool to manage your risk from flooding and protect yourself from financial and physical harm.

Created in 1968 by Congress, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) makes flood insurance available to homeowners, renters, and businesses in participating communities. Participating communities agree to adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances that reduce the risk of flooding. Currently 406 communities in Nebraska participate in the NFIP. Of those communities, 73 are counties where flood insurance is available in the unincorporated areas of those counties. There are 12,600 policies in Nebraska protecting over $2 billion of property. Since 1978 the NFIP has paid over $38 million in claims in Nebraska.

The government mandates federally regulated institutions to require flood insurance on loans with buildings located in Special Flood Hazard Areas.  Community participation in the NFIP allows lenders to make loans to floodprone loans to their customers. 

Flood insurance is available through most insurance agents that provide home insurance coverage. Insurance companies enrolling in the “Write Your Own” program sell NFIP flood insurance under their own letterhead. If you are asking for the same coverage, all lenders will have identical rates.

NFIP flood insurance has been heavily subsidized for older structures that were built before technical data was developed to make wise construction decisions. Under recent changes in the NFIP, flood insurance will become risk rated insurance. Rates are determined based on how far above or below the lowest floor of a building compares with the depth of flooding that would occur during a 1% chance (100-year) flood.

Flood insurance is available for both residential and non-residential structures. Flood insurance is available for buildings and/or contents. There is very limited coverage for items located in basements (areas below ground level).

Find out more information on the website.